vendredi, mars 17, 2006

St. Patrick's Day


L.S.,

In recent times we have of course observed any national holidays that have come up, but today is the second most important one of the year: St. Patrick's Day. The anniversary of the day in the year 432 AD when St. Patrick came to Ireland and christened the country. This is of course something that needs to be celebrated with large quantities of Guinness and Green. Even though I myself will have to come short of the Irish Tradition and only drink in moderation, I hope you will all take a moment to remember the Irish, preferably over a good glass of Guinness in a pub near you.


Just as a little piece of advice: A good glass of Guinness is poored with a two-part or even three-part pour. This means that it is poured until about an inch under the rim, then left to rest for a few minutes, and then poured completely full. If you look into your glass, you should be able to see the Irish three-leaf clover in the foam. And if you don't like Guinness, I can only say to you what my faculty contact said to me when I came to Ireland: Just keep trying...

5 commentaires:

Atanaska a dit…

Ok, I'll keep on trying.
nice post ;)

Jose-Miguel a dit…

Party tonight guys?

We can meet tonight at some Irish pub and have a few drinks. But given that S. Patrick was born in Britain any Pub would be fine I think.

Non-polite tip of the week: Celtica (in town) tends to have plenty of desperado/as.

martinned a dit…

L.S.,

I will be in the Old Oak after work. Also, I've made arrangements that there will be at least one Irishman there.

Martin

Atanaska a dit…

then go with him!

Atanaska a dit…

it was a joke:)
...miguelito told me that I'm not polite. he's right, I'm not!