vendredi, mai 05, 2006

Art

L.S.,

In the renewed spirit of attention for art (see previous post), I would like to take this moment to devote some attention to Karel Appel, the Netherlands' most famous painter in the post-war era, who has died on Wednesday, age 85.

He was unique in his ability to piss off the 1950s Holland by making things "that my 5-year old nephew could make if you give him some paint". So to the question whether this type of thing is really art (cf. Jackson Pollock, etc.), the answer is really simple: If so many people spend so much time arguing about it, it must be art.

3 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Vous étés un vrai connoisseur, Martin!

Anonyme a dit…

Of course I am, my dear!
I presume you are French or french-speaking at least(just like me)!

Angelina a dit…

Martin,
You are calling mysterious persons 'my' dear!??